Working while you study

Part-time work

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Based in theHub, thefutureworks is the University’s own commercial recruitment agency, which provides a choice of flexible temporary opportunities for students. 

Become a Student Ambassador

You can also work part-time with the University’s schools, faculties and departments at events such as open days, and get paid on a project-by-project basis. Look out for student ambassador recruitment notices around campus, within your school/faculty and on the student portal. Being a student ambassador is also excellent work experience for your CV.  

International students

If you are an international student and have had to obtain entry clearance before you arrived in the UK your visa stamp will include the words ‘work (and any changes) must be authorised’, this means you can work up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during your vacation period.

Please be aware that, as an international student working in the UK, there are certain restrictions on the activities that you are allowed to undertake. These are discussed below under 'conditions attached to your student visa'.

You are allowed to work if your student visa or biometric ID card states:

  • Able to work as authorised by The Secretary of State;
  • Work (and any changes) must be authorised.

You are not allowed to work if your student visa or sticker states:

  • No work or recourse to public funds;
  • No work or engaging in business;
  • Restricted work term-time.

If you have been issued with this stamp and your course is longer than 6 months, you should challenge this remark and ask to speak with the Entry Clearance Manager, to try and get this removed, before coming to the UK. 

Conditions attached to your student visa

If your student visa or sticker states: 'Able to work as authorised by The Secretary of State' or 'Work (and any changes) must be authorised' then you may work for a maximum of 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during university vacations.

You must not engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.

You must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.

It is very important that you follow the conditions attached to your student visa. The Home Office is very strict and any anomalies they discover when you apply for a visa extension (FLR(S)),will jeopardize your chances of extending your visa. If you are unsure whether or not you are entitled to work during your studies please contact the International Office.

International Office
Coventry University 
Priory Street

Tel:   +44 (0) 24 7615 2152

Coventry University ranked 15 in the UK
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year for student experience
QS Five Star Rating 2019
Coventry City of Culture 2021